In June, I was listening to breakup songs to get the mood I want for the current story I’m getting ready to edit for this months’ Camp Nano. In a strangely funny way, I found two iconic songs that were extremely well done but are completely opposite of each other.
The first one is “Driver’s License” by Olivia Rodrigo. This song has a naive innocence that I’m pretty sure every teenage girl or young adult who has had their heart broken could relate too. Olivia’s writing skills is something else. She’s very talented.
The second song is “You Oughta Know” by Alanis Morrisette. This is the grown up version of a heartbreak song. You can just feel the betrayal.
I love both of these songs for their differences and similarities. Other breakup favorites I listened to were:
- “Back to Black” by Amy Winehouse
- “Apologize” by One Republic
- “What Goes Around…Comes Around” by Justin Timberlake
- “Somebody That I Used to Know” by Gotye
- “It Must Have Been Love” by Roxette
- “Dancing On My Own” by Robyn
- “The Scientist” by Coldplay
Do you have a favorite breakup song you listen to?