In April I tried to follow through with an Instragam “draw in your style” type drawing. Draw in your style is where an artist shares a drawing and others follow along by either drawing it in their style or try to draw it the way the artist drew (which is how I did it). I managed to sketch the drawing but it wasn’t until late May that I was able to color it. Originally, I was going to paint in Photoshop but I’m really stiff with digital painting so I decided to just watecolor. Maybe another time.
Here’s mine next to the original piece by the original artist.
I used mainly the Daniel Smith watercolors I added to the Schmincke set.
I hope to do more of these. They really help me practice my drawing and painting.
A watercolor from a reference sketch.
This was the watercolor set I used. The Shmincke Academie was a holiday set from a year ago. I ordered it through Ebay but then realized the same set was also sold on Etsy by the same person (Etsy is my preferred place to buy internationally…I just maneuver the site a lot smoother). I would love the new 125th anniversary Schmincke Horadam set but I’m not anywhere near professional, so maybe some day. I added the few paints I purchased by Daniel Smith and Windsor & Newton’s Cotman to the set. The Daniel Smith is pricey but I love how smooth it goes on paper and how well it blends. Not pictured but I also used a Micron fine liner in .05 to darken her eyebrows, eyes, and nose, and a white pen for the light in her eyes.
A couple of creative things I did last month.
Sketched a girl with the idea that she fell upon an island of pig-nosed humans. They took her and converted her nose to one of theirs because it benefited her in that she would be able to smell danger and poison and such much easier and quicker then a tiny human nose. I definitely need more practice because it’s not exactly the way I like it.
The composite above was done for a contest in which I didn’t win but I enjoyed making it because I realized how much I’ve missed working on my computer and with the Wacom tablet and pen. Took me about 5 hours to complete, which included looking for stock photos. The face and arms are actually me. I had taken a set of photos of myself a couple months ahead with plans to use them for concept. I’m really glad I was able to use one for this.