Girl Portrait In Watercolor

A watercolor from a reference sketch.

watercolorgirl2019-01-25_1

watercolorgirl2019-01-25_2

watercolorgirl2019-01-25_3.jpg

This was the watercolor set I used. The Shmincke Academie was a holiday set from a year ago. I ordered it through Ebay but then realized the same set was also sold on Etsy by the same person (Etsy is my preferred place to buy internationally…I just maneuver the site a lot smoother). I would love the new 125th anniversary Schmincke Horadam set but I’m not anywhere near professional, so maybe some day. I added the few paints I purchased by Daniel Smith and Windsor & Newton’s Cotman to the set. The Daniel Smith is pricey but I love how smooth it goes on paper and how well it blends. Not pictured but I also used a Micron fine liner in .05 to darken her eyebrows, eyes, and nose, and a white pen for the light in her eyes.

watercolorgirl2019-01-25_4

 

DIY Passport Size Fauxdori

I’ve been doing a ton of Youtube and Google research on the Fauxdori, an imitation (DIY) version of the Midori Traveler’s Notebook, and finally found the courage and materials to make my first two.  The leather were scraps…I was aware that there would be dents and stuff on them which was fine with me since I’m just learning my way.  The books inside the Fauxdoris were also made.  I used regular paper and printed lines and graphs on two of the books and left one blank for drawing/sketching.

FDTOOLS_0004_840FD_0005_840FD_0008_840FD_0007_840FD_0009_840FD_0010_840FD_0011_840FD_0018_840FD_0017_840FD_0013_840

Now that I sort of have the hang of this I’m going to be making a few more. 🙂

Brushstrokes with Acrylic Paint

I’m enjoying the Color Theory class by Wilna Furstenberg.  I’m learning so much about painting and colors and how they work together.  I knew how to match up colors and such before but I didn’t know how to really work with the colors to achieve a certain look which I think I have a better understanding of now.

This layout called for warm colors and brush strokes.

BRUSHSTROKES0001_600BRUSHSTROKES0004_600BRUSHSTROKES0006_600BRUSHSTROKES0012_600

I finally was able to put my Tim Holtz paper distresser to good use as you can see in the last photo where I took a close-up.  I also learned how to create a sticker look with the Silhouette Portrait using the Offset.  Wilna provides a very good tutorial in her class but she also has the tutorial on her blog.  It took a few tries and frustrations to finally get it to work correctly.  The whimsical leaves die cuts were from Wilna, the dots were from a FB swap, the acrylic paints are Reeves, and the paper with the white cameras and the paper I’ve distressed are by American Crafts.

Stamping with Acrylic Paint

PAINTSTAMP031820150002_600PAINTSTAMP031820150004_800PAINTSTAMP031820150007_800

I used a rolling pin and bubble wrap to create the stamps.  The acrylic paint brand I used is Reeves.  They were a little on the darker side so I mixed a little bit of white in.  The journaling flower is from an ephemera set from awhile ago so I don’t know the brand.  The die cuts are from Wilna Furstenberg, the wood veneers and fawn badge are from Studio Calico.

Impasto

I’m taking an online class at Studio Calico called Color Theory by Wilna Furstenberg. It’s a crafty paint type of class and it’s strictly fun but I’m learning a lot more than I had imagined. The first week covered impasto.

CTIMPASTO0039_800
CTIMPASTO0038_800
CTIMPASTO0035_800
CTIMPASTO0041_800
CTIMPASTO0042_800I didn’t have pink acrylic paint (is there such a thing as pink acrylic paint?) so I mixed white and red to get the pink.  Initially, the pink was lighter than the darker color you see in the photos so I just added a bit more red to the mix.  I used Regular Gel Matte by Golden Artist Colors as the thickener.  For the black ink splatters, I didn’t have black in the little bottle Wilna used so I mixed a little water with black acrylic paint and used a brush to fling the color where I wanted the splatters.  The paper with the stamp ink is by Bazzill called Avalanche.  They have little ridges instead of the canvas texture. The heart stickers  and white stars stickers were from a Facebook swap, the little beads with the hole in them came from a Hello Kitty Scrapbook Kit my daughter didn’t want, and the butterflies are from my Martha Stewart Butterfly puncher.  The intricate flower cutout and the words (live, laugh, love) are cut files created by Wilna Furstenberg.  I didn’t use a glue gun like Wilna does even though I do have one.  I may start using it but for now I use the matte medium, Mod Podge, and E6000 as my glues.

Paper Layout: New Beginnings

LO02219201500082_600LO021920150012_800LO021920150014_800

I created the above paper layout by following the steps from Wilna Furstenberg at Studiocalico.com.  She used gel paint in her tutorial but I don’t have gel paint so I used what was available to me, which was, gel matte medium, and acrylic paints.  The intricate die cut was created by Wilna as a freebie.  I used the Silhouette Portrait to cut it out and then gently removed it from the mat with an exacto knife and a plastic scraper.  It’s a little time consuming but it’s one gorgeous piece of die cut.

SILDC0001_800SILDC0002_800

This layout was so much fun to make.  I’ve never used paint on a scrapbook page like this so it was a really great learning experience.